As brand-new bikes are still hard to find at the moment due to the pandemic and the knock-on effect with shipping times, you might be considering a second hand bike to purchase. Here’s our recommendations of what to consider when buying a second hand bike to ensure that deal really is as good as it looks!
- Check the bike with a standard M check. The M Check requires you to go from the back wheel, up to the saddle, down to the peddles, up to the stem and handlebars, finishing with the front wheel. Check that bolts are still tight, tyres are inflated, gears and chain are running well and there is no damage anywhere. Avoid any rust and obvious cracks or significant damage as this is likely to have weakened the bike.
- Take a look at the BikeRegister to see if the bike is reported as stolen. You’ll need the frame number of the bike or the BikeRegister ID if one is already displayed on the bike. The frame number can usually be found stamped into the metal under the bottom bracket. If it’s a carbon frame, then it’s usually etched into the surface or displayed on a sticker.
- Think about where you are meeting someone, if it’s the back of the supermarket or local pub then it’s possible that the bike is not legitimate and has potentially come from a questionable source.
- Before you buy, make sure that the size of the bike is right for you. Give it a test ride if possible and make sure the chain and gears run well. If you’re unsure how to ensure that you get the right size take a look at our handy guide.
- If you decide to go ahead and purchase the bike, then ensure that you add it to the BikeRegister and ensure that your details have been added to the system and/or updated.
- Take your new purchase to an independent bike repair shop to be serviced. This will ensure that everything is in good working order and most importantly safe before you head out for your first ride.
If you’re looking for Christmas gift ideas, then how about bike accessories? We have a full range of helmets, locks and lights to suit a range of budgets which will make the perfect present for a cyclist in your life.